Today Tim is turning in a letter requesting leave for the four day memorial weekend that is coming up, at the request of his SGT.
None of the soldiers in his current platoon are being allowed to go home but a few of the separate platoons are being allowed too. Tim had asked his platoon sgt awhile back if he'd be able to come home due to me not having a POA, (palm to face moment) and me wanting/needing to trade in our Pontiac for a different vehicle. His platoon SGT told him that there was no way in hell that anyone in his platoon would be going home unless it was a medical/financial emergency.
So Tim wrote off the idea, so I thought, and his family ended up planning a trip up there to see him. I hadn't planned on going this time.
Well yesterday he called me and told me that the SGT that had originally told him 'no way in hell' was gone on leave and a separate SGT, that Tim had mentioned his idea to in the first place, told him to write a letter listing his reasons for needing to come home and that he would see what he could do. So today, Tim turned in that letter.
I think our reasons are good ones. We need a new car, ours is still having mechanical issues and I'm nervous of it breaking down on the side of the road with myself and two kids in it. Not only that, but its Texas..and Texas gets hot. I'd rather not be broken down on the side of the road with two young kids, in a black car..in the Texas heat. No thank you.
Now some of you may be wondering, 'Tara, can't you do this on your own?' the quick answer 'yes but no'. Tim's name is on the title and I would need him there to sign or I'd need a POA 'power of attorney' , which I don't have. Yes, I'm dumb. I already know this.
Tim could go to the JAG office on post and get one to mail to me, but the JAG office is only open during the week which is when Tim is in class. With him already being recycled once..and learning new material for his LAST test..we don't really want to run the risk of him missing any class time. So yes, I could do this all on my own..but I can't without a POA.
So we are hoping that Tim is allowed to fly home for the four day weekend and we'd be able to go trade in our piece, for a new car.
Now, another question I know someone is thinking of, 'why not wait til after graduation?'. My response 'who wants to pay for me a rental to drive to graduation in?' or 'who wants to come pick me up on the stretch to El Paso when I break down driving to Huachuca mid July?' Any takers? Didn't think so.
So here I sit, hoping that his request will be approved and I'll be picking up my husband from the airport sometime next week. But we all know how me being hopeful turns out..
No comments:
Post a Comment